You have a personal brand – even if you’ve never thought about it before reading this sentence. How you show up in the world, what you believe about yourself and what other people believe about you, all creates a clear and memorable impression about who you are and what you do. Developing and managing your personal brand gives you greater control of your career and personal destiny. For a business owner, it is practically a requirement in today’s economy. Take the Self-Quiz below to see if your personal brand needs a little tweaking, a total remodel, or something in between. Answer each question with True or False:
1. I know what’s important to me, and I can list the values that inform my work and approach.
2. When colleagues (and those I work with at all levels) think of me, what they think is clear and consistent from person to person.
3. I know how I create value for my company and my clients. They do, too.
4. My personal “brand message” is targeted and focused.
5. I put my brand, my unique contribution and/or approach, on everything I do: presentations, reports, meetings, deals, etc.
6. I look to connect my personal brand to every situation possible and appropriate.
7. In my business and personal life, I have a vision by which I lead myself.
8. My business strategy, tactics, and systems are consistent with my personal brand plan.
9. I focus on growing and nurturing my professional network, both through offline approaches (e.g., associations, speaking, etc.) and online strategies (e.g., social media, blog, forum participation, etc.).
10. I look to find what’s distinct about me and what I bring to the table, rather than try to conform to the norm. In essence, I create my own “unique selling proposition” (USP).
11. I establish appropriate partnerships that will extend my brand and help me get complementary brand value.
12. I make sure that everything that surrounds my brand (my office, my website, my customer service, etc.) communicates the same brand message.
If you answered true to at least eight statements, you’re well on your way to building a powerful personal brand. Remember: Managing your personal brand goes beyond creating a distinct personality, it also requires telling the world about it. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you’d like support shining up your personal brand.